Monday, June 27, 2011

Recovery mode

This post is to let everyone know that I survived last nights storm and we are in recovery mode here in the area. Still no electricity (thank goodness for the generator), weak internet connection and thankfully no damage to Mel. I will update you more when we get back to a somewhat normal state.


UPDATE:


We just got power and internet back. Here's what happened. Last night about 1:30 am a dangerous storm dropped into the area and stirred things up a bit. The first thing noticed when I reached consciousness was wind, lots of wind, 80 miles per hour winds. Mel was rocking back and forth and I believe very close to doing cartwheels. The towel hung on the rod in the center of the shower was touching both walls as it swung back and forth. I immediately pulled in the slide to add some stability to Mel and then began getting dressed to be ready to flee to shelter. Next thing there is a loud crash and all the power is out. Checked the box and the breaker was tripped, but when I flipped the switch back on nothing happened. I decided it was probably not a good idea to try and chase down electrical problems standing in water in a thunderstorm so I discontinued my efforts and retreated inside. It continued to rain all night with 3 more fronts coming through, each one a little less severe than the first one, but the end result was 1.40" inches of rain. At first light I was able see why the power was not flowing and some other things I was glad I didn't see when they happened.


 This rather large limb landed in the space next to me. If you look to the left of this limb in the center of the picture you will see a rather large tree in the road.


 This is the rather large tree. Notice there is no sign of rot, it just couldn't withstand 80 mph winds.


 Here is another view of the same tree. What you can't see is directly under this tree are the power lines into the park. They don't seem to function too well when pinned to the ground by a large tree.

Looking back at Mel and some of the trees that were dropped by the winds.

Today's activities have been devoted to caching up on last nights sleep that was so rudely interrupted. Surviving a night like this is just part of the good life.

5 comments:

  1. lol Mel doing cartwheels and you hanging on the tailpipe. I'm glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you escaped any injury. You can't be too careful when conditions are that treacherous. Hope things improve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad all is well. I know how it feels to be in that kind of wind. Just waiting for the blast to roll you over. I guess someone was watching out for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JOJO, I for one need watching out for.
    Pleinguy, things have calmed considerably.
    Michael, Mel might have looked like some of that Texas tumbleweed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey John, I hope you can get all that nasty weather cleared out of there before we start traveling near there. Glad all is OK and Mel will roll another day, as in a "straight line" and not "cartwheels" :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive