Thursday, May 9, 2013

Benson, AZ

Today we traveled just a bit over 100 miles and landed at the Butterfield RV Resort and Observatory. Yes, Observatory, more about that later. The first stop this morning was at Steins Railroad Ghost town. I was going to stop at Shakespeare, another ghost town, but found out it is restricted to tours about three days a month and they seemed pretty adamant about trespassing at other times.

So it was on to Steins. Read about Steins by clicking this link This town has a very interesting history and the current history has a bit of a mystery. The property is secured by a fence, but I was able to capture a few pictures.
















From Steins my next stop was historic Wilcox and a walking tour of the downtown I will post those pictures tomorrow. Then I stopped at a roadside attraction that I've passed hundreds of times. It finally grabbed my attention and I checked it out. Pictures from the Thing on Saturday.


Butterfield RV Resort and Observatory is unique, unless you know of another RV park the has its own observatory with a star show every night. 


More about this park later. After one busy day I'm ready to sit back and enjoy the good life.

16 comments:

  1. Now if you just squeezed that outhouse into PaT, you would have solved your problems...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. Glad you are finding fun things. Enjoying reading each day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, I did about three days of posts just today.

      Delete
  3. Start late and stop early. Nap after that. WOW I like that plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you almost over did it for one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been there and done that at The Thing....I hear the price has gone from 50 cents to $1....glad we caught the cheap rate. One good thing is also the Dairy Queen....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inflation for you, I almost had to get out my 'I'll work for food' sign, but I scraped up the funds.

      Delete
  6. We have never done a ghost town tour or really every visited a ghost town. This one looks pretty deserted!

    I am very interested in reading about the observatory. Sounds so unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last count two people lived there, I didn't see a soul. This is an excellent RV park, one of the best I've ever been in.

      Delete
  7. I love ghost towns. We've always been in too much of a hurry to stop at either of those on our way through. Looking forward to your RV post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it's like stepping back in history trying to picture life in these towns 100 years ago.

      Delete
  8. I will have to add Steins to my ghost town list. The Thing that was a hoot.
    Your moving and to bad I'm not in Tucson just about 35 miles away from Benson.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive