Sunday, May 6, 2012

Day 2 early start.

This morning the day began at 4 am as I left Del Rio headed for New Mexico. Part of the motivation for the early start was the 'big' moon. Attempts to take pictures of the moon were thwarted when the camera refused to fire up claiming dead batteries. Spare batteries were available, but only in the one drawer that is inaccessible when the slide is pulled in.The other reason was to avoid rush hour on Highway US 90. I'm always amazed at how little traffic there is on this major US highway and it is lonelier at 4 am. In the 185 miles between Del Rio and Fort Stockton I saw less than 10 cars, 8 I believe and the cars were greatly out numbered by the deer (12) standing alongside the road or crossing just in front of me with a couple of near misses.


I am now just 7 miles south of Roswell New Mexico for the night and I got here in time to watch most of the Cardinal afternoon game. 


I would sleep  with one eye open tonight watching for little green men, but I know that even though Roswell is attributed to that famous UFO incident it really happened 70 miles from here.


I should be in Elephant Butte tomorrow or on Tuesday at the latest, but I will be arriving in the midst of bad news. One of my friends, Sharon, Clays wife, collapsed and is fighting for her life in a hospital in Las Cruces. 


The rest of the day will spent regaining energy for tomorrows travels and while we're at it we'll just go on and enjoy the good life.

6 comments:

  1. I really wanted to see the "Big Moon" but I work on Saturdays(12 hours) so I forgot or was to tired(don't remember)If I wasn't working and enjoying the good life like you....I would have not missed it. Darn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, not to worry, your day will come. I missed my share of things when I worked to pay the bills.

      Delete
  2. I sure hope Sharon wins her battle.

    You seem to be doing well on the roads. I like it when there is little traffic.

    Green men beware of John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving at 4 am took me back to my days as an owner/operator when there were lots of moonlight excursions. No green men spotted yet, but I'm on the job.

      Delete
  3. We missed the Big Moon... it was cloudy and rainy here. Bummer

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive