Saturday, May 21, 2011

Easing up

The weekend has arrived and it's time to ease up from my busy schedule of doing nothing. We are still waiting for the weather to improve a bit. Since we arrived the temperatures have been below normal and there seems to be a nightly thunderstorm. It looks like we will finally break 70 degrees tomorrow.


With my travels this week I didn't really say much about the two nights in Tucumcari. I can report Route 66 is still alive and well, but I'm afraid the business don't seem to be doing as well. The Blue Swallow motel appears to have shut down, joining several other businesses along the main street that have gone under.




However the Tee Pee Gift Shop still seems to be hanging on, despite the economy.


There is a ball game this afternoon that will help occupy some time as we gear down to enjoy the good life.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't driven that way since 1978. Are there still "Tucumcari Tonight" signs every ten feet? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have temps in the 70. To me that is perfect weather. Here in South Louisiana we are really getting into our summer with high temps and high humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gypsy, I left south Texas to avoid the summer heat, but I moved north too quickly. I prefer 80's myself.
    Kris, "Tucuncari tonight" signs still abound on the highway plus in town they appear on every lamp post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good pictures today. I think I remember going into the Tee Pee when I was a kid. Hey, a good ol' bowl of green chili stew would probably hit the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture of the Tee Pee Gift Shop took me right back to the 50's when my folks would take us on vacations every summer and one year we traveled Route 66, what a blast. It's nice to see that some of the history has survived.
    Thanks for the memories ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive