Monday, July 8, 2013

Green River Utah

We started the morning at the gas station and then on to Walmart the and this flattened the billfold enough that I could sit straight in the drivers seat. After a morning drive through eastern Utah, past Moab and Arches National park, we have landed in Green River Utah. If I'm not mistaken the town is named for the Green River which flows through the center of town (strickly a guess on my part) and is the only reason someone would even consider stopping in this part of the country. The area encompasses some of the most desolate territory in the entire country, I don't think you could even grow mold here. Surprisingly there is a museum in town that I will check out tomorrow and then I'm out of here.

A good days drive is one way to enjoy the good  life.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up. We are headed for Utah in the fall and won't bother stopping there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if you need fuel, it's over 100 miles to the next services.

      Delete
  2. The road up to Price was closed by a landslide a few months ago. It may not be open yet. It was a lot of fun in February 2004 while following the snowplow over soldier summit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh when you said your trip to Wal*Mart flattened out your billfold so you could sit in the driver's seat! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you get plenty of Dr. Pepper at Walmart?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is it that Walmart has that effect on ones wallet when they are the cheapest stores around?
    Safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  6. No wonder there's a Dr. Pepper shortage in the country!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wal-Mart is my new Costco - I never get out of there under $100. I think it's because they have everything I need and I only shop every couple of weeks.

    It's weird that a town with nothing in it has a museum. Maybe they were a rip roaring place in the past? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both those stores are traps, there's a bandit in every aisle just waiting to take you loot.

      Delete
  8. If you hang around long enough you can go to the Watermelon festival. It's in September.

    You might want to check out the Crystal Geyser, just south of town.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Geyser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a watermelon picture to post today. The crystal geyser is to irregular only erupting every 8 to 72 hours. I couldn't wait.

      Delete
  9. It's been a lot of years but my perspective about Green River is the same as yours. Also remember a town called Kayenta or something to that effect. It was July, and if I didn't know better I would have thought I landed in hell…it was so hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one thing they do have is water, which is pretty important in this part of the world.

      Delete

Blog Archive