Thursday, August 30, 2012

Learned something

Today I was going to write about preparing for tomorrows 'blue moon' which by the definition taught to me was a month with two full moons. When I went to Wikipedia to look  this up I found I was misinformed and the true definition of a 'blue moon' was four full moons in a season. By this definition there is no  'blue moon' in 2012. July, August and September contain four full moons. However, the period from the summer solstice to the autumn equinox in 2012 contains only three full moons as the September 2012 full moon comes after the equinox. Similarly the December full moon in 2012 comes after the solstice. Thus calendar 2012 has 13 full moons including two in August, yet contains no blue moon. That, boys and girls, is the lesson for today and with all that research I am now going to have to put my brain in park for the rest of the day.

Not to worry, there will still be time to enjoy the good life.



12 comments:

  1. That just goes to prove that once in a not so Blue Moon we can all learn something that will help us Enjoy the Good Life.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You stop learning, you stop living or so I've been told.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the science lesson. Hope you rest that brain. Probably been a long time since you used in such a dramatic fashion.

      Delete
  2. The last time I remember a blue moon was the one dad gave me when I was 6 or 7 on my back side..maybe it was red first then turned blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you I would not have known that. It sure is a bright moon tonight

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was out walking Poppy a bit ago, and the full moon here was bright and beautiful. What a pleasant sight on a nice warm evening in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got a bright full moon here too, wonder if it's the same one.

      Delete

Blog Archive