Saturday, June 30, 2012

Getting ready

Tuesday will officially be renew your drivers license day. That makes today prepare all the paperwork required by Homeland Security. Having held a drivers license since I was 16 years of age and considering the numbers of illegals running around this country these hoops I'm having to jump through seem a bit excessive. Here are the requirements for South Dakota.

MUST HAVE ONE to prove identity, date of birth, and lawful status:
  • Certified U.S. birth certificate issued by state or county (no hospital birth-certificates)                                                       
  • Valid unexpired U.S. passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization       
  • Certificate of Citizenship
       Non-Citizens Need:
  • Valid unexpired permanent resident card
  • Valid unexpired employment authorization document
  • Foreign passport with valid unexpired U.S. Visa with I-94
Anyone who has changed their name since birth (and does not have a valid U.S. Passport in their current name) needs to show proof of the name change(s). Acceptable documents for proof of legal name change are a certified marriage certificate(issued by a state vital records agency), a certified adoption document, or a certified court order authorizing a name change (such as a divorce decree). If you have been married multiple time you will need to provide proof of all name changes (unless you have taken back your maiden/birth name or hold a valid U.S. Passport).
South Dakota birth and marriage certificate information is available at and through your local County Register of Deeds' office. Marriage certificates before 1970 may not be available for same day issuance.  For telephone numbers and addresses to write for out-of-state vital records, please visit
MUST HAVE ONE document to prove Social Security number.  The documents below are the only ones we can accept for proof of Social Security number (the document must include name and full social security number). Please do not ask us to accept anything other than the documents below:
  • Social Security card (we cannot accept the Social Security stub) (card/stub examples)
  • W-2 Form
  • SSA 1099 Form
  • Non-SSA 1099 Form
  • Pay stub (must include name and social security number)
(For information on how to apply for a social security number or replacement card, please visit
MUST HAVE TWO documents to prove your residential/physicaladdress.  A parent's proof of address is acceptable for a minor child.  Please bring two of the documents listed below (each must contain your name and current address):
  • Utility bill
  • Credit card statement
  • Pay stub or earnings statement
  • Rent receipt
  • Phone bill
  • Transcript or report card from an accredited school     
  • Bank statement
  • Mortgage document
  • Tax document
  • Homeowners/renter's insurance policy
  • Other items with your address can be reviewed by Driver Licensing personnel
  • If you are unable to provide proof of residency, please call 1.800.952.3696 or 605.773.6883 for exceptions.
  • Post Office Box addresses are acceptable in areas not assigned a street or 911 address
Address Exceptions:
Minors - If a minor does not have two documents proving residency, the parent may provide two forms for them.
Living with someone else - An individual residing with another person may have the other person sign a"Consent for Use of South Dakota Address" form and present two residency documents belonging to the person with whom they reside.  Click here for the "Consent for Use of South Dakota Address" form.
Living within an organization or at a facility - You may provide a letter from the organization or facility (on their letterhead) stating you reside there.
People who travel full-time - If you are using a South Dakota mail forwarding address, you will need to complete the "Residency Affidavit" and provide one document proving your temporary South Dakota address (campground or RV park receipt).  If you have friends or family in South Dakota and plan to use their address, you can complete and follow the instructions on the Consent for Use of Address form.

Since I'm on the road full time and handle most of the bills and banking electronically, today I'm busy going into the accounts I need to present and printing out copies of statements. Once this is completed I will then be able to get back to enjoying the good life. 


  1. I did that hoop jumping last summer, but had to make two trips from IN since I didn't have my SS card with me the first time. :(

  2. Not fun, my SS Card was not acceptable (issued in 1964) because it was of the old (?) design. Had to run back (20 minutes) to the campground to get a W-2.

    Of course, all the illegals just drive without a license while we legal citizens get driven crazy. :c(

    1. My SS card is from 1956. We'll see. I'm taking a 1099 just to be sure. The old SS Cards had a note on the bottom that they weren't for identification, but now we need them for identification. Go figure.

  3. How do you explain the name change to Shoeless Joe. You'll probably blame it on the high taxes you paid while working. That should convince them to just let You Enjoy the Good Life. Be Safe.

    It's about time.

    1. I plan on continuing to use my 'maiden' name on the drivers license.

  4. Like some one above said the illegals don't need no stinkin license or no stickin insurance. Their here illegally anyway why should they get anything legal.

    1. I think illegals might have a better deal than citizens.

  5. It sounds as if you almost had to work today. How long are staying in SD?

    1. Probably just a couple of days and then it's off to North Dakota.

  6. Homeland Security doing its best to protect us from ourselves...hahahahaha...guess they have to do something to justify their existence. They know law abiding citizens will comply because...well...we are law abiding citizens. Circular reasoning if ever I saw it.

    1. I think this might be another example of our taxes at work, which we discussed earlier.

  7. And what is the most amazing is that you don't need any of the stuff to vote for a president any more. Sad state of affairs these days :-(

  8. Ahhh the hoops we gotta jump through just to prove we are who we say we are!

    When I got my first driver's license at the age of 16, I didn't need a thing. The Secretary of State office in the small town I lived in was run by one of my dad's best friends. He was later at my wedding. Do you think he could vouch for me as to my name change??? LOL

    (we do have current US passports, so I suppose those will suffice)

    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard

    1. "Dad's best friend" is probably not on the list as acceptable identification. Just my guess.


Blog Archive