Thursday, April 26, 2012

More work to do

Well, the UPS man showed up yesterday and brought a couple of projects to be completed and a couple of tools to measure progress in the diabetes battle.


Yesterdays package included a couple of items for the water heater and on the right a scale and a pedometer.

The items for the water heater were a sacrificial anode and a drain wrench. The idea of the sacrificial anode is to insert it in the drain plug of the water heater and allow it to be eaten by electrolytic corrosion, thus sacrificing itself to save the water tank and its fittings from corrosion. Tomorrow will be tank cleaning day and anode installation.

The other two items are measuring sticks for my battle with diabetes. The scale will measure weight loss, even though I have always believed I'm not overweight, just under tall. I can report I have lost 14 pounds since my first visit to the doctor a month and a half ago. The small blue item in the right hand corner of the scale box is a pedometer that will measure my daily steps and distance walked along with time walked. This will just work as reminder for my daily goals. I am able to report progress is being made in the war. The first measurements taken a month and a half ago were in the 550 range. This mornings reading was 126. The goal is still to get the reading under 100 and the goal is in sight.

This conclude the Christmas rush, but be aware I am constantly scouring catalogs for items I can't live without and especially items that are necessary to enjoying the good life.

12 comments:

  1. It is always important to put our health first as a way of Enjoying the Good Life.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, good to hear you are making progress and losing weight.Now if only I could lose a few pounds...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that you are taking care of yourself. I have a brother in law that doesn't pay attention to his diabetes. It could be fatal for him, yet, he just ignores what he needs to do..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always enjoyed good health, so a little work to maintain it is worth the effort.

      Delete
  4. Your doing a great job John.I will be cheering for you on the side lines. I was looking at the pedometers the other day, may go back and get one as it sure helps to keep your feet moving.

    I guess Christmas needs to be over for at least a little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, it's always nice to have cheerleaders on the sidelines.

      Delete
  5. That's a great weight loss John. Not an easy thing to do. Your 126 glucose reading actually sounds pretty good. I worry if Russ gets much lower than that but then he is on insulin and that makes lows a real issue. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All good things! The recommended walking for each day is 10,000 steps, for me that's about four miles! I try to do that five days a week but some days I miss. I think if you can get to 10,000 steps a day along with all your other efforts your diabetes should stay pretty well controlled.
    We're all watching and pulling for you, you da man!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I'm doing about half that, but in this heat and humidity it's still pretty effective.

      Delete

Blog Archive